January 7, 2012 - PRNewswire -- Semiconductor fab equipment supplier EV Group (EVG) uncrated the EVG620HBL Gen II fully automated lithography mask alignment system for volume manufacturing of high-brightness light-emitting diodes (HB-LEDs). The second generation EVG620HBL addresses ongoing cost-of-ownership reduction in the LED manufacturing industry, with 55% higher wafer output per square meter of cleanroom space occupied, EVG reports.
The EVG620HBL Gen II offers new features for high-volume manufacturing (HVM), enabling a reported 20% reduction in cost-per-processed wafer.
- An enhanced microscope supports automated mask pattern search to reduce lithography mask set up and change time.
- Updated robotic handling layout with wafer mapping capability increases wafer traceability.
- Improved alignment capability (line alignment) leverages the grids that mark LED die orientation instead of requiring separate alignment marks on the wafer.
- The system footprint is also reduced overall.
The new generation is part of EVG's EVG620HBL lithography tool series.
- The tools feature a high-intensity ultraviolet (UV) light source and an optional filter fan unit.
- Wafer throughput is up to 165 6" wafers per hour (up to 220 WPH in first print mode).
- Special recipe-controlled microscopes are available with tailored illumination spectra for the best pattern contrast with various wafer and layer materials, such as sapphire, silicon carbide (SiC), aluminum nitride (AlN), metal and ceramic.
- The EVG620HBL series processes 2" to 6" wafers.
Today, EVG's bonders and mask aligners are being deployed by four of the top five major HB-LED manufacturers.
The EVG620HBL Gen II will be part of EVG's offering at Strategies in Light, February 7-9 in Santa Clara, CA. EVG's Dr. Thomas Uhrmann will present on "High Throughput Lithography and Metal Wafer Bonding: Two Enabling Technologies for Future High-Brightness LEDs" on February 9, 8:30AM.
EV Group (EVG) provides wafer-processing equipment for semiconductor, MEMS and nanotechnology applications, including wafer bonding, lithography/nanoimprint lithography (NIL) and metrology equipment, as well as photoresist coaters, cleaners, and inspection systems. More information is available at www.EVGroup.com.